Orthopaedic surgery can be very specialised. At Westport Veterinary Clinic we are lucky that Stuart has a great deal of experience in treating many orthopaedic conditions.
He regularly treats:
- Cruciate ligament ruptures
- Medial patella luxations
- Hip dislocations
- Fracture repairs
We have full orthopaedic equipment and kit which means that if your pet needs surgery, it can often be performed, in-house, without delay – and without having to refer you to different clinics.
Stuart keeps up to date by continual study and attending many Continued Education Courses. Over the years he has attended a number of courses run by AOVET. These courses have tutors who are some of the worlds top specialists and they work alongside human orthopaedic surgeons to try to advance veterinary orthopaedics as much as possible. The AO Vet courses he has attended are:
- September 2004 – Small Animals Principles in fracture repair
- December 2006 – Advanced in Small Animal Fracture Repair
- October 2011 – Advances in Small animal orthopaedics
- May 2015 – Small animal masters in advanced pelvic limb osteotomies
- December 2015 – Masters course – injuries in the distal extremities in small animals
Stuart also attended another course in January 2015 allowing him to start performing a new technique for repairing cruciate ligament ruptures – the Modified Maquet Procedure. This technique is one of the cutting edge cruciate surgeries and he is now highly experienced having performed well over 100 procedures.