Where does the UK stand now as far as Pet Travel to EU goes?

As of January 1st 2021, UK Pet Passports are no longer going to be accepted for animals travelling from the UK to EU countries. You can still use an existing Pet Passport, if this was issued outwith the UK and is up to date, to:

a) Return back to the UK if you are abroad in the EU after Jan 1st 2021.

b) To travel onwards from current EU member states to other EU member states after January 1st 2021 (not the UK).

If you are wanting to take your pet abroad after January 1st 2021 then you will need a new Animal Health Certificate (AHC).

It is your responsibility to check the latest requirements for your destination and method of travel. Some countries require a vet wellness check in addition to the AHC, which can be carried out at the same appointment.

**Animals travelling to Northern Ireland from England, Wales and Scotland will also require an AHC to travel.**

How does the Animal Health Certificate (AHC) process work?

This will need to be checked or implanted prior to any rabies vaccination. This can be done at the same appointment as the rabies vaccination, if required.

Pets must be over 12 weeks old. The rabies vaccine CANNOT be given within 2 weeks of any other vaccination.

The vaccine we currently use lasts for THREE years before a booster vaccination will be required, within the UK. In other countries more frequent rabies vaccinations may be recommended.

This is very important as you will need to plan ahead. Animals risk being quarantined if you travel within this 21 day period.

The regulations do not require a serological blood test to be taken (if traveling to EU countries).  Some animals may have already had samples taken but these are now not required.

This is because we need to obtain the certificate in dual language – English AND the language of the point of entry to the EU.  Please note – it is the country you ENTER the EU and not your final destination.

The form can be accessed here as we will need this information to pre-populate your AHC in advance.  Please complete this carefully and at least 3 weeks before your intended date of travel.

The AHC is only valid for 10 days once it has been issued. This date is the date of arrival in the EU, not the start of travel. You need to plan ahead so you can get your appointment with us within the correct time window for your planned entry into the EU.

If your pet has a Pet Passport already, or you have had the rabies vaccine done at our practice then this will suffice as proof.

However, if your pet has had a rabies vaccine at a different practice and you do not have an existing Pet Passport, then you may require a further rabies vaccine with us, and a further 21 day wait, or paperwork from your previous vets as proof of vaccination . We strongly suggest you check with us well in advance if you are not sure.

The new AHC is a complex  and time consuming document.  Your vet will need plenty of time to examine your pet, complete and check the documents as well as copy and certify all the other paperwork required.

…  in to the EU and 4 months for onward travel.

However, this does mean that you will require a NEW AHC each time you want to travel to the EU.
Even if this is within close proximity to a previous AHC being issued.

Between, 24 and 120 hours (1 and 5 days) BEFORE re-entering the UK.   This will need to be recorded on the AHC certificate and possibly shown to officials at the UK border.

How much does it cost?

Each appointment with the vet will be 20-40 mins long and the cost includes all your documentation at the end required to travel. Please remember that this will be required every time that you want to take your pet to the EU.

The current price is £180 for registered clients and £400 for non-registered clients. For people travelling with more than one pet, each additional animal will cost £50 if done at the same time, up to five animals in total. (Prices include VAT).

You must complete this form before you make your appointment

Application for an AHC